In any institute that prides itself in well-published faculty, research occupies an important place. The PGDIE course encourages students to work in the direction of disseminating knowledge. The capstone project aims at exposing them to advanced topics (or even subjects) that cater to research activities. A state-of-the-art library that has access to with hundreds of publications is available to the students. Combined with the extensive industry exposure that the students undergo, it creates an ideal environment for exploring upcoming areas of management study. The capstone project is a tool to integrate the field exposure with academic pursuit. Introduced in the year 2004, it is a four-credit component of the curriculum and is a testimony to NITIE’s principle of continuous improvement through innovation.
Some of the capstone projects undertaken by the PGDIE students are: -
- Logistics Strategies for FMCG MNC's
- Supply Chain Management in Retailing
- Design of Distribution Centre for the whole-seller of Office Products
- Impact of Modern Retailing Format (Malls) on consumer buying behavior
- Multi-criteria optimization in continuous casting process using simulation
- Heuristics for balancing multi-model & multi-mixed production line w.r.t. to semiconductor industry
- Supplier Relationship management
- Role of FDI in Indian Industry
- Rural Marketing - Issues and Challenges
- Data Envelopment Analysis: Applications in the Indian Industry
- Application of Six-Sigma in Software Quality Improvement
- Financial strategies for corporate growth and competitive advantage
- Security issues for web based applications
- Challenges of Indian Software firms to sustain global competitiveness
- Decision Support System for e-CRM in Banking Sector
- Internet-enabled SCM
- Knowledge Management in Business Organization
Many of the capstone projects undertaken by the students are working papers for publications. Few of the papers that found place in international journals are :
"Application of Theory of constraints in an integrated poultry industry"
Chaudhari, C.V., and S.K.Mukhopadhaya (International Journal of production research-2001, Vol.41,No.4)
"Modified Hamiltonian Chain-a graph theoretical approach to Group Technology."
Prof.S.K Mukhopadhaya, Ramesh Babu, K.V.Vijay (International Journal of Production Reasearch-2000, Vol.38, No.11).
"Conjoint Measurement approach for machine part grouping in manufacturing cell information."
Prof.S.K Mukhopadhaya and C. Bhandari (International Journal of Production Research-1997, Vol.35, No.8).
"Timed Petri Net for Synchronized Scheduling of FMS."
Prof.S.K Mukhopadhaya and A.Gopalkrishnan (Institution of Engineers (India) - PR May 1998, Vol.79)